Gerlingen lies to the west of Stuttgart with a direct connection to the Autobahn A81 as well as the Bundesstraße (national road) 295. Lying centrally in the region, Gerlingen is still surrounded by forests and fruit orchards.
The origin of the name Gerlingen goes back to an Alemanni named Gero whose clan settled in this region. The first evidence of Gerlingen is found in a document from the monastery Lorsch from the year 797 A.D. Gerlingen can thus look back at over 1,200 years of history.
In the 15th century, what is today the Church of St. Peter was built.
In 1763, Duke Carl Eugen had the summer residence Solitude built.
For a long time, the castle Solitude belonged to Gerlingen even if the court there little influenced the direct development of the city. Since 1942 however Solitude has belonged to Stuttgart.
Gerlingen was decreed as a city in 1958 through a decision of the state government.
In 1964, Gerlingen entered into the first of three twinning agreements with Vesoul in France. Tata in Hungary and Seaham in England followed in 1987 and 1988.